Oxygen Safety Tips for Home Users


Patients who have been diagnosed with breathing issues may be prescribed by their doctor with medical oxygen. While this can greatly improve a patient’s quality of life, oxygen can significantly increase fire risk, so exercising precaution when using this therapy at home is important.

Although oxygen by itself is not flammable and will not explode, it can react violently to combustible materials and substances. So, if something catches fire, oxygen can make the flames burn and spread much faster.

If you’re currently providing Home Health Care in Saginaw, Michigan for someone who’s using medical oxygen, here are some oxygen safety tips to practice:

  • Don’t let anyone smoke near or around the oxygen tank/containers, both at home and in public.
  • Make sure to keep oxygen tanks at least 15 feet away from open flames e.g., kitchen stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, candles, etc.
  • Avoid using aerosol sprays containing combustible ingredients near the oxygen tank.
  • Keep oxygen tanks away from electronics/electric motors, such as space heaters, hairdryers, electric blankets, and other handheld tools.
  • Make sure the home smoke detectors are up and running to alert you in case of emergencies.

At All Valley Home Health & Hospice Care, our clients’ health and safety are our top priority. If you or your loved one should every need high-quality Hospice Care in Saginaw, Michigan to assist with oxygen safety, we would be more than happy to help.

Contact us to learn more about our options for Hospice Care in Bay City, Michigan.

This entry was posted in Safety Tips and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *